What is an anti-static bag?
Anti-static bags are bags used to store electronic components that are susceptible to damage by electrostatic discharge (ESD). Prevents the build-up of static charge on the surface of the bag, as it dissipates the charge to the ground or any other surface it is in contact with.
These bags are usually polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and come in a special color (silver for metallic film, pink or black for polyethylene -PE). The polyethylene variant can also be in foam or bubble wrap, in sheets or bags. Multiple layers of protection are commonly used to protect against mechanical damage and electrostatic damage. Protected equipment can be packed inside a metallized PET film bag, inside a pink polyethylene bubble wrap, finally packed inside a hard black polyethylene box lined with colored poly foam pink.
Anti-static packaging of different sizes, from small bags for RAM chips to large bags for motherboards. Anti-static packaging is a bag specifically designed to have a dispersed outer part and an anti-static inner part, which helps prevent static electricity inside the bag. These bags are commonly used for storing and transferring electrostatic sensitive equipment. If you have ever purchased a computer hardware device such as a hard drive, sound card or video card, there is a good chance that it came in a black or pink Anti-Static Packaging.
The benefits of antistatic packaging:
According to studies conducted by industry experts, up to 33% of electrical product loss is due to static electricity. This shows that even the smallest charge is enough to cause small electrical components in particular to fail.
The benefits of antistatic packaging include:
- ✓Reduce damaged goods: They prevent static electricity build-up and discharge, the cause of most damage.
- ✓Reduced costs: With your electronics better protected, there’s less chance of damage and you’ll therefore save money on repairs.
- ✓Increased efficiency: Less damaged goods results in greater efficiency as you will have to deal with fewer returns.
- ✓Increasing customer satisfaction: Saving for customers, avoiding disappointing customers about damaged products and having to wait for new products to be returned.
Notes on anti-static packaging:
Static electricity can cause major damage to the internal circuitry of components or microprocessors rendering electronic equipment unusable if the Anti-Static Packaging is used incorrectly: Remember the product only if inside New protected anti-static packaging. Placing the product on top of the bag but not inside the bag will not be protected. In fact, it is often more dangerous to place an electrostatically sensitive device on top of the bag.
How are anti-static bags manufactured?
Conductive antistatic bags are manufactured with a layer of conductive metal, usually aluminum, and a plastic dielectric coated in a static dissipating coating. This forms both a shield and a non-conductive barrier, shielding the internal containers from static charge through the Faraday cage effect.
Anti-static PE bag:
Anti-static PE packaging is a dispersing anti-static bag made from polythene. when it comes into contact with a charge, dissipates (spreads) the charge on its surface to the ground. Has a soft and supple texture and is flexible, not wrinkled, usually pink in color.
- ✓Pink anti-static PE bag capable of dissipating static electricity to the ground
- ✓Prevents build-up of static charge on packaging or equipment
- ✓This material is anti-static and will not charge when rubbed with other materials
Anti-static PE packaging specifications:
- ✓Blow molding with antistatic additives from LDPE and LLDPE
- ✓Static drop time is <2 seconds
- ✓Soft and flexible texture
- ✓Surface resistance < 1011 Ohms
Anti-static aluminum foil packaging:
Conductive antistatic aluminum foil packaging is manufactured with a layer of conductive metal, usually aluminum. Fully protect them from direct electrostatic discharge and static build-up. Is an anti-static bag used for sensitive electronic equipment that can be damaged by electrostatic discharge with the following basic characteristics:
- ✓The mouth of the bag is heat sealed or Zip Lock ( Zipper bags)
- ✓Features anti-charge – demagnetize – Waterproof, protect from moisture
- ✓Manufactured in many different bag sizes to fit the equipment to be contained. The size is determined as the size used to contain the product (not counting the welded edges).
- ✓Available in 3-layer or 4-layer construction (PET, AL, NY or CPE)
Anti-static aluminum foil packaging specifications:
|Composite membrane structure||PET/AL/CPE or NY/AL/CPE or PET/AL/NY/CPE|
|Thickness||100 Micron-140 Micron|
|Function||Anti-static, Anti-moisture, Can be vacuumed|
Scope of application:
Anti-static aluminum foil bags are used for packaging products that require anti-static, moisture protection and light blocking or vacuum packaging such as electronic components, precision machinery or equipment, objects chemical materials, cosmetics…
Anti-static bubble bag:
Anti-static bags protect devices or components from electrical discharge, especially useful when transported or stored outside of a safe work environment. Soft, flexible material together with sealed air bubbles provide effective cushioning and shock and impact resistance.
•✓ Blow molding with antistatic additives from LDPE and LLDPE
• ✓Sealed air bubble provides effective cushioning and shockproof and impact resistance.
Which ESD bag should I buy?
Your choice of antistatic bag will largely depend on what product you need to protect with that antistatic bag. Both types of bags are classified as dissipative, but ESD bags provide better protection for the contents of the bag than dissipative antistatic bags.
As a general rule, if the product is sensitive to static electricity or has electrostatic sensitive components and is being handled outside of an electrostatically protected area, it is recommended that you use an electrostatic shielding bag for protection. inside the bag from potential electrical discharge (ESD).
Static sensitive items include: ICs, printed circuit boards (PCBs), motherboards, graphics cards, oscillators, Micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS).
If you are handling items that are not statically sensitive but may come into contact with electrostatic sensitive items, then you can use Pink Antistatic Packaging. This allows you to pack, transport, and handle things like tools, safety equipment, spare parts, instruction booklets, and anything else that could potentially discharge a sensitive product. with static electricity during production.
Different types of Antistatic Packaging will often be used together or with other layers of antistatic packaging – such as a pink antistatic bubble bag to protect from both electrostatic damage and physically caused.