GPPS granules are one of the most popular specialized plastic beads in recent times, especially for the industry of producing wall clocks and electric meter covers. So what is GPPS resin? What are its uses? Let’s find out with Hadupack through the article below!
What is GPPS resin?
GPPS plastic beads have the English name of General Purpose Polystyrene. Like HIPS resin, GPPS plastic belongs to the group of Polystyrene (PS) plastic – a thermoplastic, made of polymerization and can be recycled.
GPPS plastic beads are transparent, so they are often used to produce products that require high aesthetics. Depending on the type of manufactured product, the plastic beads will combine with additives to improve the performance of the finished product.
Highlights of GPPS plastic beads:
- Melting point is 173°C, decomposition temperature is 330°C
- Resistant to corrosion and softening of alkaline acids and low-energy alcohol, soluble in flavoring
- Good electrical insulation, heat insulation, good arc resistance
- High transparency, shiny surface, easy printing
- Capable of self-contamination, GPPS resin is colorless, odorless and non-toxic
However, GPPS resins have poor mechanical properties, are hard and brittle, easily corroded by solvents and cause cracking. In addition, the surface hardness is low, it is easy to be scratched, and the heat resistance is very poor.
From these characteristics, GPPS plastic beads are applicable in:
- Production of food containers, transparent lenses
- Producing containers, bottles…
2 types of GPPS plastic beads are commonly used today:
a. GPPS 150 resin:
- GPPS 150 is a hard, transparent, colorless, odorless and very easy to color plastic. The machining temperature of GPPS 150 ranges from 180°C to 200°C and is easily machined by various methods.
- GPPS 150 has the following mechanical properties:
- Crunchy, low tensile strength
- If the plastic weight increases, the mechanical and thermal strength increases, the brittleness decreases
Relative expansion increases at 80°C. The higher the temperature, the softer and more sticky the GPPS 150 will be
With such mechanical properties, GPPS 150 resin is applied in the following fields:
- Production of food packaging materials, electrical equipment, sanitary equipment, household appliances
- Used as packaging and preserving food, pen caps, soft drink bottle caps, beer safes, jewelry boxes…
- Used as high frequency insulators, insulating clamps…
- Used in the industry of leatherette sandals, textiles, textile fibers …
b.GPPS 525N . resin
GPPS 525N is a white plastic granule manufactured from polystyrene. We can easily catch this type of plastic through items such as wall clocks, food box trays, electric meter covers, high-end cosmetic jars… This plastic has thermoplastic properties, is durable, sturdy, odorless, sensitive to temperature and has a low specific gravity.
Some applications that GPPS 525N resin brings:
- Molding: Making packaging boxes, cosmetic containers, propellers, medical supplies, stationery items…
- Injection molding: Cartons, packaging, food trays…
- Used for glazing, lighting, indoor decoration…
- Producing household appliances, electrical – electronic equipment, building materials, auto and motorcycle components, accessories for the transportation, telecommunications industry…
Outstanding applications of GPPS granules:
Thanks to its outstanding properties, GPPS plastic is increasingly widely applied in daily life as well as in engineering. From a commercial perspective, GPPS plastic is processed and processed by a series of modern advanced technologies. Eg:
- Injection molding: Used for packaging, cosmetic containers, lampshades, propellers, medical supplies, computer discs or stationery items…
- Injection molding: Cartons, packaging, poultry meat trays, fast food containers…
- New application: Lighting, glazing, home decoration
- Other plastic products such as: Household appliances, packaging products, electronic equipment, building materials, auto-motorcycle components…
GPPS plastic resin production process:
Primary plastic beads are produced by a rather complicated process, depending on the production unit, there will be different methods.
GPPS plastic beads inherit the industrial production process of PS resin group, the beads are made up of styrene polymerization and have the chemical formula: (CH(C6H5)-CH2)n.
During the production of GPPS resins, there is no need to dry. However, to achieve the best quality of the finished product, the manufacturer needs to dry for about 1 hour to remove all the foam. In addition, the production of GPPS primary plastic does not need large pipes or pouring mouths to fill raw materials and when manufacturing, it is also necessary to pay attention to avoid sharp corners that create cracks in the finished product.
GPPS and HIPS resins belong to the group of PS resins. Each type of plastic has a different and relatively uncomplicated manufacturing process. Depending on the product to be processed, the manufacturer will mix some additives to improve and enhance the finished product’s performance.
Above are a few details about GPPS plastic beads, hopefully the above information has helped you better understand this specialized plastic bead.