HDPE stands for High Density Polyethylene, which means High Density Polyethylene. In addition to the abbreviation HDPE, it can also be abbreviated as PEHD.
HDPE is a thermoplastic polymer produced from ethylene monomer. HDPE is polymerized from high density polyethylene at low pressure with catalysts such as chromium, silicon, catalyts,…. The density of HDPE is in the range of 930 to 970 kg/m3, less branching, creating large molecular forces, so the tensile strength is higher than other types such as PVC, LDPE. Plastic pellets are produced and marketed in two main forms: trees and HDPE sheets.
Is hdpe plastic reusable? HDPE is recyclable, and has a symbol with the number “2” in the middle to indicate it has been recycled twice. With each recycling, the middle number will change according to the specific number of times and is named according to the number of times of recycling such as “HDPE 2”, “HDPE 5”.
+ Find out more: Hạt nhựa LLDPE
Primary HDPE plastic granules:
- Thermic properties of high density polyethylene (HDPE)
- Density: 930 ~ 950 kg/m 3
- Melting point: 130.8°C.
- Crystallization temperature: 111.9°C.
- Latent heat of fusion: 178.6 kJ/kg.
- Heat conduction: 0.44 W/m.
- Specific heat capacity: 1330 to 2400 J/kg-K
- Specific heat (solid): 1.9 kJ/kg.
- Crystallization: 60%
- Minimum breaking strength: 21 Mpa
- Coefficient of thermal expansion: <0.2 mm
- Surface resistivity: > 1013
- Maximum working temperature: < 45 degrees Celsius
- Minimum micro-softening temperature: 120 degrees Celsius
- Brittle and fracture temperature: < 0 degrees C
- How much temperature can HDPE plastic withstand? Up to 160°F or 71°C, at this temperature, the physical properties of the plastic will be minimally reduced.
Features of HDPE plastic material:
HDPE plastic has unique characteristics, different from other types of plastic on the market today. Let’s learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of this plastic!
- With light weight, this material is resistant to large forces, has corrosion resistance, strong chemical resistance, is not bitten by molds and animals.
- Not affected by external weather factors such as light, UV protection, not brittle when left for too long outdoors.
- Has good ductility, convenient in the process of forming different materials at will of the production unit.
- Outstanding fire resistance with high temperature resistance. At temperatures below 40 degrees Celsius, HDPE retains its good shape
- This is a type of plastic that is widely used, so it is cheap and easy to find and buy in the market.
- HDPE can be recycled, reducing plastic waste into the environment
Besides the outstanding advantages mentioned above, HDPE also has some limitations, users need to understand during use:
- Easily scratched, the gloss is not high, the aesthetics are average.
- The structure is broken when the sudden temperature change causes the product to crack, break
- The temperature is too high, it will melt and have an unpleasant smell
3. Is HDPE plastic toxic – Is it safe?
HDPE contains nonylphenol, which has been found to be dangerous, an endocrine disruptor that can affect the endocrine system along with the human hormone control system. However, this is very unlikely as virgin HDPE is currently considered a low-toxic plastic with a low risk of leaching.
Currently, virgin HDPE is approved by the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) for use in food packaging such as juice bottles, milk, butter, vinegar, syrups as well as grocery bags. If people are confused when using utensils from HDPE, they are completely assured and this plastic does not contain toxic substances, safe for human health when used. However, care should be taken when using recycled HDPE plastics over and over again!
What is hdpe plastic beads used for?
Up to now, HDPE has extremely wide applications in almost all different fields. Here are the specific applications of this superior material:
1. Plastic tank – IBC tank
HDPE plastic has high strength, safety and chemical resistance, so it is currently used to make different types of plastic containers such as ibc tanks, multi-capacity plastic drums, plastic cans, …. The product has a long service life, is easy to shape with different designs, and meets the needs of customers in the market. HDPE plastic containers use modern production technology, virgin plastic particles without impurities are used, used to hold many different types of liquids from chemicals, additives, industrial solvents, food, etc. Clean water,…
2. Plastic pipes
Plastic pipes made from HDPE have high watertightness, excellent fire and heat resistance. These pipes are widely used in various fields such as domestic and industrial water supply and drainage pipes; water pipes in mining; used in the energy industry…
3. Optical cable
Currently, fiber optic cable sheath is usually made from HDPE to help protect the inner cables, withstand high temperature, humidity and compression.. Therefore, the cable can be installed in different environments. , not being bitten by rodents, creatures, life expectancy up to 20-30 years.
4. Producing plastic cans, plastic bottles, nylon
This is a fairly common application of HDPE thanks to its good plasticity, elasticity, and heat resistance. Some applications such as plastic bottles, pesticide bottles, chemicals, plastic bags, etc.
5. Other products and equipment
In addition, this material is also used to make household appliances such as plastic cabinets, partitions, plastic tables and chairs, food containers, children’s toys, etc. Other applications of HDPE are used in suction packages. moisture, chemical additives, etc.
Thus, above is detailed information about HDPE resins as well as their characteristics and applications. This is really a wonderful material, flexible use to help support human life. Please continue to follow hadupack Plastic to receive more useful information!